About the Blog

20 something Canadian blogger with a love of the little things in life.


Connect with Me

Image Map


Categories

Image Map


Archives



Credit

Theme design by Ella Street.

About

My name is Mikayla! I'm a 22 year old University Graduate with a passion for all things beauty. I stumbled into the online beauty community a year ago and have been obsessed with youtube videos and blogs ever since. After watching hundreds of videos over the past year I figured it was about time I joined the community and posted my own thoughts in my own little space. I'm also recently graduated, unemployed and headed for college in September.

I really enjoy all things beauty, and I really like telling my friends what I think about products so writing them down just felt natural. To me, make up isn't something that you wear to make yourself look prettier, it's something you do on yourself for yourself. It has the power to give you strength to tackle a rough day, the courage to find your inner confidence and sparkle like every girl is meant too.

Other than beauty, I love fashion. Beauty and Fashion are the keys to my heart, along with a great deal. I'm all about a decent deal, and budget shopping is my favourite.

I can't wait to start this journey with the internet and all of you!

Disclaimer

Just a general disclaimer:

I am not a professional makeup artist, I am completely self taught, any posts on beauty products are purely personal opinion and should not be taken as fact.

Beauty items shown on this blog are purchased by myself, or as a gift from family members.

Any and all reviews on products are based on my opinions alone.

A Month Later

Monday 24 August 2015

Last month I shared why I had surgery, and how I was feeling the night before the surgery. It is now a month later and I am still so incredibly happy that I did it.

The morning of my surgery I wasn't allowed to eat or drink, my parents and I drove to the hospital about an hour away and I checked into the outpatient surgery ward. I was really nervous, the only similar experience I had was with my wisdom teeth where I woke up in incredible pain. Everyone at the hospital was really nice. I got changed into the hospital gown and had the IV put in my hand.

My family has a condition called Malignant Hyperthermia (MH) where our muscles cannot metabolise gas anesthetics, because of this, we require different anesthetics and  I was the first surgery in the Operating Room, and it required extra monitoring while I was under anesthetic and after the surgery.

Everyone in the OR was really nice, the nurse was really friendly and really put me at ease (I may have nervous cried- a couple of times) and the anesthesiologist was incredible. My surgeon who I had met twice before asked me what kind of music I wanted to listen to falling asleep and put on Spotify.

The next thing I knew it was 3 hours later and I was waking up with a nurse beside me. The surgery was done and I was good to go into the recovery ward. I really wasn't in a lot of pain, aside from some uncomfortableness I felt great. I was able to go home that day, and for the next couple of days I really took it easy and hung out on the couch.

Really the recovery was easy. I handled it really well, and instantly noticed differences in my posture. For the next couple of weeks I took it easy, hung out around the house and focused on healing properly. I'm not allowed to lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks and it was recommended that I avoid the gym for about 4-6 weeks (now I can hit the treadmill).

A month later I'm still so happy that I did the surgery, I went shopping for some new tops and didn't have to buy any that were 2 sizes too big to accommodate my chest, it was an awesome feeling saying that I genuinely did not know what size I would be.

I start my placement with school next week, and I know that not only has my confidence improved, but so has my back. Standing and walking for long periods of time isn't painful, or standing to do the dishes. This surgery has really changed my life, in the best ways possible, and the only thing I wish is that I had of done it sooner.

Labels:


blog comments powered by Disqus



◄ OLDER ENTRIES | RECENT ENTRIES ►