About the Blog

20 something Canadian blogger with a love of the little things in life.


Connect with Me

Image Map


Categories

Image Map


Archives



Credit

Theme design by Ella Street.

About

My name is Mikayla! I'm a 22 year old University Graduate with a passion for all things beauty. I stumbled into the online beauty community a year ago and have been obsessed with youtube videos and blogs ever since. After watching hundreds of videos over the past year I figured it was about time I joined the community and posted my own thoughts in my own little space. I'm also recently graduated, unemployed and headed for college in September.

I really enjoy all things beauty, and I really like telling my friends what I think about products so writing them down just felt natural. To me, make up isn't something that you wear to make yourself look prettier, it's something you do on yourself for yourself. It has the power to give you strength to tackle a rough day, the courage to find your inner confidence and sparkle like every girl is meant too.

Other than beauty, I love fashion. Beauty and Fashion are the keys to my heart, along with a great deal. I'm all about a decent deal, and budget shopping is my favourite.

I can't wait to start this journey with the internet and all of you!

Disclaimer

Just a general disclaimer:

I am not a professional makeup artist, I am completely self taught, any posts on beauty products are purely personal opinion and should not be taken as fact.

Beauty items shown on this blog are purchased by myself, or as a gift from family members.

Any and all reviews on products are based on my opinions alone.

Why I Chose to Have Surgery :|

Monday 27 July 2015


*Please note that this is a very personal post, I am not looking for any negative comments, and am really happy with my decision. This post was written the night before my surgery when I could not sleep- it is now day 3 of recovery and I am doing great, and healing very well! 

As a young girl, all I wanted to be was a grown up (no I did not have surgery to reverse this decision) and for some reason, to me that included having boobs. As I got a little older, the term late bloomer definitely applied, I insisted on wearing training bras when really, there was no need for them, in the 5th grade. All of my friends were developing, and I felt left out (the fear of missing out issue is still a big thing for me) I wished and I prayed and I cried that I wasn’t developing like my friends.

Finally in high school, I started to fill out a bit, and then it wouldn’t stop. As I left my grade nine year I was a solid B cup, a size I was very happy with, but by the end of the summer I was close to filling out a DD. When I returned to school for grade 10 my friends were convinced I was stuffing my bra. By grade 11 I was an E and just as I was leaving high school it was almost impossible for me to find a bra in stores like La Senza or Victoria’s Secret.  I have a tall more slender frame the proportions were out of whack for a long time.

Now while large boobs are something some people pay a lot of money to get, I never ever wanted them. I wanted boobs, like my friends, the handful sized. I’m also one to not like a lot of attention, and well, when you come back after a summer and look like you might be stuffing- you get some attention. Attention I have never been comfortable with.  To take away from the attention, I started wearing flowy blouses, and slouching my shoulders to cross my arms. I quit figure skating, one of the reasons being my back just couldn’t handle it (and that was a few sizes ago)

In my first year of university I had to start going to those fancy stores where the bras are ordered in from France and cost around $100 (a lot more than a 19 year old can spend). Even in these stores, I was growing out of sizes quickly. They literally would not stop, (the phrase be careful what you wish for is super relevant here). When I so badly wanted boobs, I did not realize that they are heavy (especially the large ones) and can cause severe back and neck discomfort. I used to get tension headaches from my bras. My sides under my arm pits are permanently marked from where bras that don’t fit properly have rubbed until it burns, and I like to slouch to take some of the attention away, which isn’t good for posture.  It was at this age I began wondering about surgically removing some of the problem.

For a couple years I pondered this thought, weighing the pros and the cons of the surgery. I really thought about what the surgery would mean, physically altering my body, scars, recovery time; but I also considered a lot of the pros including improved posture and confidence. Last June I went to see my family doctor to finally request a referral to a plastic surgeon for a consultation. In February I met the plastic surgeon who had to send forms away to insurance, and 6 weeks later I was told I had been approved- I could have the surgery.

My esteem has really suffered because of how large they actually got, I became known as the girl with the big boobs, as if they were my only defining feature. (A friend actually told a guy that he had to meet me because of my chest) while that can be a little flattering, it was also very hurtful, I know I have more to offer than just a big chest, I’m intelligent, I’m friendly, I’m hardworking, I’m passionate, I love books and movies and watching live sports events; but the summary was about the one physical aspect I was the least comfortable with.


Now it is the night before my surgery, where tomorrow morning I will trust a doctor to cut away pounds (yes pounds) of fat from chest, so that I can start becoming comfortable in my body.  Besides being comfortable, I am excited to be able to do a whole bunch of dishes without my back getting sore, I am excited to go into a La Senza and buy bras that are pretty (and not have to ask my parents for a small fortune for one) I cannot wait to buy new clothes to show my new confidence, and to stop slouching and not always have my arms crossed (it kind of makes me look grouchy).

Labels: , , ,


blog comments powered by Disqus



◄ OLDER ENTRIES | RECENT ENTRIES ►