About the Blog

20 something Canadian blogger with a love of the little things in life.


Connect with Me

Image Map


Categories

Image Map


Archives



Credit

Theme design by Ella Street.

About

My name is Mikayla! I'm a 22 year old University Graduate with a passion for all things beauty. I stumbled into the online beauty community a year ago and have been obsessed with youtube videos and blogs ever since. After watching hundreds of videos over the past year I figured it was about time I joined the community and posted my own thoughts in my own little space. I'm also recently graduated, unemployed and headed for college in September.

I really enjoy all things beauty, and I really like telling my friends what I think about products so writing them down just felt natural. To me, make up isn't something that you wear to make yourself look prettier, it's something you do on yourself for yourself. It has the power to give you strength to tackle a rough day, the courage to find your inner confidence and sparkle like every girl is meant too.

Other than beauty, I love fashion. Beauty and Fashion are the keys to my heart, along with a great deal. I'm all about a decent deal, and budget shopping is my favourite.

I can't wait to start this journey with the internet and all of you!

Disclaimer

Just a general disclaimer:

I am not a professional makeup artist, I am completely self taught, any posts on beauty products are purely personal opinion and should not be taken as fact.

Beauty items shown on this blog are purchased by myself, or as a gift from family members.

Any and all reviews on products are based on my opinions alone.

Mother's Day CakePops!

Monday 12 May 2014

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all the momma's of the world. I currently live with my Grandparents (free rent, home cooked meals etc.) because I am starting College in the fall- after my degree. My beloved momma lives across the country for my dads job, which meant Mother's Day was spent on facetime, and I spent the day with my mom's momma.

I recently purchased a handy-dandy CakePop maker... because everyone needs one of those. I am by no means a cook- my idea of gourmet is anything made in a microwave, or that requires little ingredients. Baking is even moreso not my thing. However, I love cake, and well cake on a stick-perfection.


The kit is legitimately easy to use, it required 4 minutes to make a dozen, and to be frank, I was like a kid in a candy store.

To make my CakePops I used the Duncan Haynes Devil's Food Chocolate Cake Mix (yes from a box), it required 1 1/2 cups of oil and 1 1/4 cups of water along with 3 eggs. Super easy to mix, and it only took 2 minutes in a mixmaster on medium speed to beat all the chunks out of the batter.


I followed the instructions of the CakePops maker- plugged it in and gave it a couple of minutes to heat up until the light turned green.

Once it was heated up, I poured around 1 Tablespoon of the mix into each of the little holes for the CakePops. I used an oven mitt (the instructions told me too!) to close the lid, put on a kitchen timer for 4 minutes and let the machine work its magic.


I used this little fork like instrument the kit came with to remove the baked pops from the maker, and put them on a cookie sheet to cool. I believe the one box of cake mix made like 5 or 6 dozen of them. Awesomely enough, Canadians have these things called Timbits- that we sell at Tim Hortons. CakePops not on a stick or dipped in icing, look and taste exactly like that! Silverlining to how many I made!


As I was getting to the bottom of the batter, I mixed 2 cups of Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting (about 1 container) and 1 cup of Semi-sweet chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl- and put the mixture into the microwave for 1 minute. This melted the frosting and chocolate chips enough to be smooth and creamy and good enough to dip the CakePops.


Dipping the CakePops was not NEARLY as easy as I expected. After many trials and errors I figured out that dipping the end of the stick into the melted chocolate about an inch or so down and then stabbing them into the side of the CakePop (not down the middle) and putting it in the freezer helped the icing stick to the inside of the CakePop.


After leaving the CakePop in the freezer for around 5 minutes I would dip the CakePop into the warm icing mix. You do have to reheat the icing for about 20 seconds. I did use my finger to get the frosting all the way around the CakePop (and who doesn't love eating frosting off your finger!?)

This is the finished product: Some of it dripped down the stick, but hey at least it's legitimately homemade. And my Nana liked them, which is the best part- and no one got sick, which I'm super proud of.
P.S. Happy Belated Mother's Day to my rock, my best friend, and my biggest inspiration. Love you mommabear :)

Labels: , , , ,


At 13 May 2014 at 05:38 , Anonymous Alexandra Lif said...

OH MY GOD!! I love cake pops SOO much, and I love, love baking but all the cake pop recipes I have ever seen look so impossibly complicated. I have to get my hands on this! It looks totally doable, and sooo worth it. My mom is my best friend too! They are the best :)
Hugs,
Alexandra

www.mysweetestdisposition.blogspot.com

 

blog comments powered by Disqus



◄ OLDER ENTRIES | RECENT ENTRIES ►